Contact person for Math Challenge Program at Newport Heights Elementary: Anne Figge at email@example.com and Ellen Martin at President@nhe-pta.org.
- Math Challenge is a free enrichment program sponsored by Newport Heights PTA. No-sign up is necessary.
- All students K to Grade 5 are invited to participate.
- There will be 15 challenges throughout the school year to engage students in interesting math problems that strengthen their calculation, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, and improve their confidence.
- Refer to the Schedule Calendar below for dates that the challenges and their solutions will be available on this webpage.
How to Participate
- Access the current challenge by clicking the big blue button on the top right corner of this page.
- Each challenge will be released on a Friday. You have until the due date listed on the challenge to complete it (normally 2 weeks).
- Problems get more challenging as you work through the challenge. Encourage your student to solve as many problems as they can. Remember that students may ask a friend or family member if they need help getting started. Good mathematicians help each other expand their thinking! Students may attempt any number of problems. (Use the required number of problems for each grade level as a guideline.) The Math Challenge is supposed to be fun! Productive struggle is good, but stop before that struggle turns to frustration.
- When students are ready to submit their solutions, they input their answers into the Google Form available on the Newport Heights PTA website. Watch for an email reminder after each Math Challenge is published online. To request accommodations or assistance with technology issues, please contact Anne Figge (email a top of this page.)
- Students must submit their work by the deadline. A key for each challenge becomes available online after the due date and will be posted on this website for all NHE Dolphins and their families.
OPTIONAL: The Google Form only accepts a student’s answer to a problem, but we also love to see solutions that show how students are thinking about the math. If your student has a solution (words, pictures, numbers, diagrams, photos, etc.) that they’d like to share, send a photo or copy to Anne Figge at firstname.lastname@example.org. With permission, we will share these on the PTA website.
This program is completely voluntary, but we hope all students and families will join us in this fun STEM learning experience! Every student who completes a challenge will have their name submitted into a drawing to win a small prize and be recognized on our Math Challenge “Wall of Fame.” Students who complete 12 or more of the challenges will be recognized with a certificate at the end of the school year.
If you have any questions, please email Anne Figge at email@example.com.